Friday, March 13, 2009

A Couple of Backyard Birds




Wednesday evening I took these two shots in my backyard. I believe they are the same pair nesting in a tree hollow that I featured a while back. Both were shot with my Oly E-3 and 70-200 w/ 1.4 teleconverter @ 283mm with a FL50R flash. With the Oly's 2:1 crop factor that would make this combination a 566mm efective focal lenght. Shooting these birds has made me appreciate how much lens you need for birding. With this rig I find that any small bird more than 15 feet away is pretty much out of range. Meaning that at that distance I will need a 50% crop to fill the frame resulting in about a 170 dpi 12 X 12 print.

2 comments:

Barry Armer said...

Nice bird shots! They look sharp even at screen resolution!

Well done!
Barry

Larry J. Patrick said...

I like the top image the best. My only suggestion is that you might consider cropping it so that the black background on the bottom does not show. It does not seem to add anything to the shot and as my eye moves down to this area, I seem to get trapped.

Good work. I enjoy "real" bird photographer's work!